The Harmense sub-camp was created in a village Harmęże next to Oświęcim after decision made by Heinrich Himmler in November 1940, who wanted to have farms for raising food, animals and fish for the SS staff. Many Poles were forced to leave their houses, as the village was incorporated into one big farm belonging to Auschwitz.
Operating under administration of Auschwitz III Monowitz, the Günthergrube sub-camp was established in the grounds of existing hard coal mine Piast in town Lędziny.
Prisoners working in the camp were divided into 2 labour squads, one working in the old mine and on construction of the new one. The second squat worked on the sub-camp delivering building materials and levelling the site.
Located near the Polish-Czech border, the village of Goleszów used to be a location of one of the Auschwitz sub-camps during the war.
The first prisoners arrived at there in August 1942, and at the time of evacuation over 2 years later, there were over 1000 of them working and living in the camp at the same time.
Our new 60-page quarterly magazine, 'Reflections', will soon be available to download.
Available as both a bilingual English and Polish magazine 'Reflections' is an Auschwitz Study Group publication that tackles contemporary research into the Holocaust, often looking at new areas of study or subjects that have been previously 'neglected'.
You can now follow us on Flickr. Our pictures have been kindly submitted by Auschwitz Study Group members as well as photos from the private collection of Auschwitz Study Group.