ASG Facebook Group |ASG Twitter |ASG Instagram |ASG Pinterest |ASG Flickr |ASG YouTube

(DAW) Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke

At the far north of the Industriehof, construction began in 1941 of a complex of workshops (Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke), German Armament Factories. Production of military armaments and machinery would begin in August 1941 and from around March 1942, 600 prisoners worked there in two shifts. By 1944, the number of prisoners had increased to over 4,000. Prisoners selected for this work were still subject to the same starvation rations of those in other positions of work at the main camp, but it was preferable to be in doors than working outside in the harsh winters and scorching summers.

The DAW factory was only second in size to the Krupp factory on its north border.

The factory building was mostly demolished and rebuilt in the 1960's for a Polish company. No relics exist today except a part of the fence and rail siding that passed the east border.

Map showing the location of the (DAW) Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke
Map showing the location of the (DAW) Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke
Map designed by Michael Challoner ©
         
The fence and rail line around the former (DAW) Deutsche Ausrüstungswerke slave labour factory
The fence and rail line around the former (DAW) Deutsche
Ausrüstungswerke slave labour factory
Photo by Michael Challoner ©

Sources

Information about sources we used while researching the industrial zones of Auschwitz you can find here.