ASG Facebook Group |ASG Twitter |ASG Instagram |ASG Pinterest |ASG Flickr |ASG YouTube

Lehrlingsheim (Youth Camps)

Name of camp: Jugendwohnheim-West         Name of camp: Jugendwohnheim-Ost
Camp for: 500 German & Volksdeutsch boys         Camp for: 400 German girls (from the Bund Deutscher Madel)
Dates: 1941-January 1945         Dates: 1943-January 1945

IG Farben invested heavily in the future of its factories, putting particular emphasis on its youth scholarship programmes. Young boys and girls were inducted and housed in Monowice to be trained in a variety of jobs related to working for their plant. When the Nazis got into power in the early 1930’s, the scout system was abolished and the Hitler Youth became compulsory. The Lehrlingsheim (youth camp) was to follow this system to an extent, and such was the importance placed on the youth for the future of the company, heavy investment was put into the programmes that not only included the housing and living costs, but also the training programmes that were offered. The camp was situated at the far south west of the IG Farben complex, directly south from Lager VII Angestellten Wohnlager. The road that split the 2 youth camps heads straight into the village of Poręba.

At first, there was only 1 camp operational, the camp for boys. But in 1943, a second camp to the east of the boy’s barracks was constructed to house girls from the Bund Deutscher Mädel (BDM) and Kriegshilfsdient-Maiden of the RAD.

 

Testimonies of Lehrlingsheim

Read the testimony of Józef Wrona

 

Existing Camp Relics

No buildings exist in the area with the exception of one single SS bomb shelter.

Map showing the barracks and camp buildings of Lehrlingsheim camps
Map showing the barracks and camp buildings of Lehrlingsheim camps
Map designed by Michael Challoner ©

 

Youths congregated in the IG Farben recreational and kitchen area in Monowice
           
The main area of the camp where the barracks once existed
           
The last remaining bomb shelter in the vacinity of the former barracks
            Image 1
Youths congregated in the IG Farben recreational and kitchen area in Monowice
Photo courtesy of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum archives

Image 2
The main area of the camp where the barracks once existed
Photo by Michael Challoner ©

Image 3
The last remaining bomb shelter in the vacinity of the former barracks
Photo by Michael Challoner ©

 

Sources

Information about sources we used while researching the werk kamp you can find here.